The 2017-2018 EPL kicked off in anger on Friday, August 11 with an enthralling match between Leicester City and Arsenal. Ninety minutes and seven goals later, Arsenal came from behind three times to win, despite some truly comedic passing out of the back by Rob Holding. I enjoyed the match with my brother, Aaron, a Chelsea fan, and was reminded that I have yet to enshrine my predictions for this season. They are:
- Man City – Guardiola to come good in his second season in England. And really, how could he not with the likes of De Bruyne, Silva, Agüero, Jesus, Yaya, Gündoğan, Sané, etc? Their Achilles heel appears to be Ederson in the seemingly cursed goalkeeper position.
Key Player: De Bruyne
- Chelsea – Too much quality in the Chelsea ranks to drop their standards, but I doubt the angel Morata will be as effective as the demon Costa.
Key Player: Hazard
- Tottenham Hotspurs – A solid core with Kane, Alli, Eriksen, and Lloris, but failure to keep up with the spending of their rivals will see them stand still.
Key Player: Eriksen
- Manchester United – Mourinho to drive a small improvement, with the help of wads of cash, but can’t fix the underlying issues this fallen giant.
Key Player: Mkhitaryan
- Liverpool – An exciting side, but inconsistent and suicidal at the back.
Key Player: Mané
- Arsenal – I admire Wenger for sticking to his principles in both sporting and financial terms, but that thrift simply can’t keep pace with the free spending of the rest.
Key Player: Ramsey
- Everton – Despite some solid acquisitions, the Toffees aren’t able to keep pace with the first tier.
Key Player: Siggurdson
- Southampton – Another season in the middle for Southampton.
Key Player: Redmond
- Stoke City – The Potters will bounce back slightly after a difficult 2016/2017.
Key Player: Shaqiri
- West Brom – Assembled of cast-offs from other teams, WBA will continue to punch their weight in the middle of the pack.
Key Player: Rodriguez
- West Ham – Though somewhat haphazardly assembled, there is enough quality to keep the Hammers mid-table.
Key Player: Noble
- Crystal Palace – A slight improvement over last season, but not much progress.
Key Player: Zaha
- Bournemouth – Eddie Howe’s overachievers to sink more to their level.
Key Player: Defoe
- Newcastle – With Benitez at the Helm, the Magpies can be confident in staying up.
Key Player: Diamé
- Swansea – Another difficult season for the Swans.
Key Player: Ki
- Leicester City – Champions of two seasons ago will flirt with relegation before just staying up.
Key Player: Iheanacho
- Watford – The Hornets survive by the skin of their teeth.
Key Player: Deeney
- Burnley – Brave Burnley to sink to the Championship.
Key Player: Arfield
- Brighton – Fans to enjoy their season in the top tier, but it will be short-lived.
Key Player: Bruno
- Huddersfield – A difficult season, but the parachute payments should help them bounce back up.
Key Player: Ince
La Liga: Real Madrid
Bundesliga: Bayern Munich
Serie A: Juventus
Ligue 1: PSG
Champions League: Real Madrid