Slovenian Style Dandelion Salad
My dear Aunt B shared this recipe from my grandmother, which she apparently entered in a recipe contest. Here's the background information she supplied:
When my parents immigrated to the United States in the early 1900's, my moth brought with her a special knowledge for harvesting and preparing plans that grew wild in the countryside. Dandelion was among her favorites. Although she never measured ingredients, I experimented until I discovered how to duplicate this dish. My family always looks forward to having this salad frequently in the spring.
- Wash and drain dandelion greens. Place in salad bowl.
- Cook potatoes until tender with a small amount of water in saucepan.
- Drain potatoes, reserving water.
- Saute onions in olive oil until soft.
- Add vinegar, sugar, salt, and potato water, then bring mixture to a boil.
- Toss greens with dressing.
- Top with cooked potatoes.