4 March 2021
Slovenian Style Dandelion Salad
4 side servings
My dear Aunt B shared this recipe from my grandmother, which she apparently entered in a recipe contest. Here's the background information she supplied:
When my parents immigrated to the United States in the early 1900's, my moth brought with her a special knowledge for harvesting and preparing plans that grew wild in the countryside. Dandelion was among her favorites. Although she never measured ingredients, I experimented until I discovered how to duplicate this dish. My family always looks forward to having this salad frequently in the spring.
young, tender, fresh dandelion greens
medium potatoes, peeled and diced
white vinegar or pickle juice
reserved potato water
- Wash and drain dandelion greens. Place in salad bowl.
- Cook potatoes until tender with a small amount of water in saucepan.
- Drain potatoes, reserving water.
- Saute onions in olive oil until soft.
- Add vinegar, sugar, salt, and potato water, then bring mixture to a boil.
- Toss greens with dressing.
- Top with cooked potatoes.